Sunday, October 4, 2009

John's Un-Harry Potter Sweater

My DD and SIL have moved to Germany!!  He's a Sargent now in the Army and they're stationed there for 3 years.  I got a call the other day for "emergency sweaters!!"  Seems that even though the kids knew for awhile that they were going, they didn't find any cold weather clothes!!  So I start off on a plain percentage sweater for my 6' 3" SIL to make sure of the fit before I get "creative"!!  I'm working away and can't help myself..... I keep thinking about the sweaters Mrs. Weasley makes in the Harry Potter stories!!  I want to put a great big J in the middle of the chest!!!!!  Now you need to know that my DD is an absolute Potter fan, but my SIL can't stand him!!!!  I resist the urge as long as I can and decide I've got to do something!!  I've got a great book by Elsebeth Lavold,  "Viking Patterns for Knitting" that has a section on Runes.   I get to her alphabet and find the closest thing I can to his initial and added it to the front where the big J should've been!!! LOL!!!  That's why it's his Un-Harry Potter sweater!!!  I really like the way it turned out!!  It's the letter "h" from her runes which (if I understand the chart) is the G sound and since the last name is G.... it's there!!!!  I'm hoping that he likes it and will leave explaining all the twists and turns to the SIL!!! LOL  LOve you John!!!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention that one sleeve is longer then the other :P

Love DD

Bea said...

Fab jumper!